Course Coordinators: Dublin County Board in conjunction withNADA & IT Blanchardstown
Target level: Mentors interested in improving their abilitiy to develop appropriate conditioning programs for adult teams (U16+).
Prerequisite knowledge: Presumes no prior knowledge of science or physiology.
Entry Requirement: Individuals must be a current member of a GAA Club. Must be over 18 years of age
Module Description: The course will focus on the theoretical and practical aspects of conditioning for Gaelic Games.
Delivery Mode: Lecture and practical sessions delivered over two semesters comprised Conditioning for Gaelic Games in Semester 1 (Oct 2011 - Jan 2012) and A Sports Project in Semester 2 (Spring 2012).
Class Size: 30
Semester one Module:
- Introduce the basic theory underpinning the development of various fitness components.
- Understand the role of nutrition during performance and recovery.
- Develop the ability to assess the various components of fitness.
- Design and implement training programs to develop the various components of fitness.
- Other topics covered include Physical Demands of Gaelic Games, Conditioning for Gaelic Games, Functional & Performance Analysis in Gaelic Games, Training Principles and Planning, Power and Speed Development, Strenght Training.
Semester two Module: Semester two Comprises coaching theory and practice and the production of a detailed conditioning portfolio. The latter will see the student design and implement conditioning programmes in a variety of appropriate enviroments, producing coaching evaluations, and self analysis utilising a broad spectrum of recording methdologies.
Open Day & Workshop: Wednesday 12th September 2012
Course Dates & Content:
|Semester 1||Thursday 11th October 2012||7pm – 9.30pm||1||Game Demands of Hurling & Football|
|Thursday 18th October 2012||7pm – 9.30pm||2||Developing Functional Movement|
|Thursday 25th October 2012||7pm – 9.30pm||3||Functional Movement|
|7pm – 9.30pm||4||Speed & Agility Training|
|7pm – 9.30pm||5||Speed & Agility Development|
|Saturday 1st December 2012||10am – 4pm||6 – 8||Strength & Power Training & Development|
|Thursday 13th December 2012||7pm – 9.30pm||9||Conditioning, Periodisation & Planning|
|Saturday 15th December 2012||7pm – 9.30pm||10 -12||Nutrition|
|Semester 2||Saturday 19th January 2013||10am – 4pm||13||Coaching|
|Saturday 6th April 2013||10am – 4pm||14||Coaching|
|Thursday 25th April 2013||7pm – 9.30pm||15||Catch-up Session|
Course Fee: €750 (subsidy available of €100 for Dublin GAA Club Members)
Course is subject to minimum numbers of 30